[wisb] Partial albino Red-tailed Hawk, Marathon County.

  • From: Dan Belter <bwhawk1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 10:56:37 -0700 (PDT)

I started out my birding this morning in the southeastern area of Marathon
County. I mainly birded along the roadside in the bog along Mission Lake Road.
Here I saw, from as close as 8 feet away, a singing Blue-headed Vireo. I know
Blue-headed Vireos were found breeding in this area of county during the
Breeding Bird Survey 10+ years ago, but this was the first time I've ever
encountered one during the breeding season here in my home county. Also of
interest in this bog, seen and/or heard, were; Yellow-bellied Flycatcher,
Golden-crowned Kinglet, both White-throated and Lincoln's Sparrows, and both
Nashville and Yellow-rumped Warblers to name a few.

Then, while on my way home, I saw this large white bird sitting up on an
electrical pole. At first I thought it might be a late Snowy Owl, but after I
stopped my car to get a better look, it turned out to be a partial albino
Red-tailed Hawk!! I took several photos of it before it took flight. While in
flight I could see a few dark flight feathers and one reddish tail feather. But
other then this, this hawk was very white looking. Visit my flickr.com site to
see what photos I took.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bwhawk/sets/72157630074217892/detail/

Dan Belter
Village of Weston