[wisb] Re: Pacific Loon Rock Lake Jefferson County 4 20 2012, some images

  • From: "Korducki" <korducki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jimedlhuber@xxxxxxxxx>, "wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 07:32:46 -0500

Jim, based mainly on the last 2 larger images I would say that it is
definitely a Common Loon.  The head has a noticeable bump and is not smooth
like a Pacific Loon.  The head and bill are also quite large.  Pacific
should be small headed and have a thinner bill.  This bird shows a big,
blocky headed appearance.  Also the eye is encircled by white.  A Pacific
has dark feathering all around and below the eye.  This is an excellent
point to separate the two species.  The image of the Barn Swallow is
unique-it looks like a shearwater at that angle.  Thanks for sharing the
photos.  This can be a tricky species to ID at a distance especially when
they are actively feeding and diving.

Mark Korducki, New Berlin