[wisb] PB GREBE, Oshkosh

  • From: Paul Bruce <birdsandfish49@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 23:21:14 -0800 (PST)

   You read that right folks ---   Just before work today, Sunday, and having
the car (which is
not very often), I made the few minutes to stop by the Senior's Center along
the river.  In the
traditional open patch of water by the couple 100 mallards and 5 hen mergansers
was an immature
PB GREBE, my very first January record.  Next question to Bob D.,  how many
other Jan. records
are there of this kind?  This was absolutely a most unexpected sighting I ever
had in a very long time.
The things you see when you don't have a camera.  It would've been a  very easy
shot, too, seeing
it swimming in the water next to the edge of the ice.  It never dove at all,
just putzed around even while
an immy bald eagle came into view.
  There were plenty of gulls out there too but nothing unusual. Among the
mallards were a few Am.
Blacks as well.  No other ducks.
   Later,  Paul Bruce,
   Oshkosh