[wisb] Ozaukee/Sheboygan Counties today

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 18:11:57 -0600

I started at the east end of CTH D in Ozaukee County and had no luck finding
the gulls Steve Thiessen and Mark Hodgson found there yesterday- only
3 Herring Gulls. I did find two Black Scoters but they were a difficult
scope view, probably 1/4 mile north of CTH D. Six Mile Rd. had a few Horned
Larks. (Yesterday evening there were three No. Harriers working the fields
south of Jay Rd. on both sides of Six Mile Rd., but no Short-eared Owls that
I could see).
In Sheboygan County on CTH W just west of STH32, there was a medium size
flock (150-250? birds) of Lapland Longspurs to add to today's other reports
from around the state of this species. Looks like the strong winds blew them
in. Surprisingly, no Snow Buntings in the flock.
At Kohler-Andrae S.P. an immature Bald Eagle flew by and there were 3
Glaucous Gulls. A large flock of ducks out near the horizon appeared to be
Long-tailed Ducks, but the view was not good enough to count them.
At Sheboygan I met Tim Hahn and we saw the Barrow's Goldeneye reported by
Steve yesterday, 7 Great Black-backed Gulls, 3 Glaucous Gulls, and
the Snowy Owl (perched on the east breakwall on the south side of the
marina. We looked from about 30 yards south of the Youth Boating Center).

 Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County