[wisb] Re: OT: Prickly pears blooming?

  • From: Gwyn Calvetti <gwyntells@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: john romano <cajunbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 14:07:04 -0500

Just to clarify.....We are well aware of the geocaching restrictions in
State Natural Areas and National Parks.  However, with permission, an
individual can place something called an EarthCache, which does not have a
container.  Instead, the seeker is led to a point or along a marked trail to
discover and reflect on the forces of geology.  We have placed several such
EarthCaches ourselves with the full permission of Thomas Meyer in each
instance.  It's really a great way to get folks into areas with interesting
features, while avoiding the impact the activity can otherwise have.  The
one to which I referred earlier is such a cache in the Blue River Sand
Barrens, with full permission on record by way of a government form.
 For the uninitiated....geocaching is an activity that people enjoy by
finding a container with a log book to sign at those points.  It has been a
great way for my non-birding husband and me to enjoy time outdoors together,
and in the process, he's picked up some birding skills.  We've had some
great adventures, discovered lots of neat places and I've even picked up a
few new birds.
 Now back to birding....

Gwyn Calvetti (Secretary, Wisconsin Geocaching Association)
LaCrosse County