[wisb] Re: Northwoods waterbird jackpot, etc

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 08:29:31 -0600

I second Tom's finches observations, with Red Crossbills, White-winged
Crossbills, and Common Redpolls all on the move in small numbers, as well as
Pine Siskins in greater numbers.  However, it's not early for any of these
species, which often arrive (as migrants) around Oct 20-25 regardless of
regardless of whether it will be a "good" irruption year or not.  We'll see.
No Pine Grosbeaks or Bohemian Waxwings yet, although Hawk Ridge in Duluth has a
couple of the latter already.

I had a SHORT-EARED OWL flyover Hwy 13 between Ashland and Washburn on Saturday
evening -- a good find for us here in the northwoods.

Good duck and loon numbers on Chequamegon Bay right now.  This morning a flock
close to Hwy 2 just west of Ashland had both scaup, Redheads, Canvasback,
Ring-necked Duck, N. Shoveler, Green-winged Teal, C. Goldeneye, Bufflehead, and
2 RUDDY DUCKS (rare here).  Both Surf and Black Scoters have been present in
this area as well.  White-wings are always hard to find here and I don't think
we've had one yet this fall.

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady