[wisb] Northern Shrike, Forest County and one legged chickadee question

  • From: timarytm@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 07:22:00 -0800 (PST)

Saturday we had a northern shrike come in to our feeders at our cottage near
Wabeno in southern Forest County. We had a good sized flock (14-20)
black-capped chickadees, hairy woodpeckers, red bellied woodpeckers, red
breasted nuthatches, white breasted nuthatches, downy woodpeckers, blue jays
and a female pileated at the feeders on Friday and Saturday. We only had two
American goldfinch, one redpoll -who only stayed briefly...no pine siskins, no
juncos at all. Last year we had many pine siskins and a small group of juncos
as regulars.

We have a chickadee (who I suspect hit the window) with a useless leg. We first
noticed him in early November. His leg seemed stiff at that time and he seemed
to just be learning to adjust to it. I was afraid he would not make it long. He
is still coming to the feeders tho! (I am pretty sure the shrike left
empty-handed). The leg now dangles uselessly.
Question: If it were possible for us to capture him, would it be better for him
to have this leg removed, if I could find someone to do this?

OT: We were able to observe a northern short-tailed shrew who has made a couple
of tunnels to beneath the feeder that is within a few feet of our windows.
It was very entertaining to watch him poke his head out, make a dash for a seed
or two, and then retreat into his tunnel.

We got ourselves a copy of Wisconsin's favorite Bird Haunts book for Christmas
(marvelous book!!). We attempted our first birding road trip on Friday Dec
23rd. We took Highway S from near Crandon north and then drove around Pine
Lake. We did not go at the optimum time as it was snowing quite hard and mid
afternoon by the time we started. We saw five ruffed grouse, a hairy woodpecker
and two small flocks of black capped chickadees oh, and two ravens, a small
flock of crows. Yep, that was it. Maybe a glimpse of a pileated.  We enjoyed
the trip anyway and did have good looks at the grouse feeding in the trees.

Mary and Tim Maertz
Forest County