[wisb] Northern Kettle Moraine - Sunday

  • From: "Kevin" <dkkearns@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin birding network \(E-mail\)" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 20:40:19 -0500

We decided to take our annual trip to the Northern unit of the Kettle
Moraine southwest of Fond du Lac yesterday two weeks earlier than we usually
do. Good thing we did, the orchids and pitcher plants usually peak around
June 9th, but since everything else this year is about two weeks ahead of
schedule, we didn't want to chance missing them blooming. The pitcher plants
were in peak bloom, while the Pink lady slippers were past their prime
already. At Spruce lake bog, we heard the expected Veerys calling along with
several EASTERN TOWHEES and INDIGO BUNTINGS. A trip to a gravel road
(haushalter rd) that leads north from Hwys Ggg and SS intersection had John
M's HOODED WARBLERS, then MOURNING WARBLER, BLUE WINGED, and many more
TOWHEES and INDIGO BUNTINGS.

Birding was then finished as we laid on the beach at Mauthe Lake for several
hours. By the time we made it to Greenbush kettle picnic area to listen for
more Hooded Warblers, it was too late in the day to hear them call much and
we were tired anyway.

Kevin Kearns
Neenah