[wisb] Northern Harrier Sky Dance

  • From: timarytm@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: Wisbirdn Post <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 13:35:03 -0700 (PDT)

I posted earlier about watching a Northern Harrier in Taylor County. I found
this information on the behavior we witnessed:

Male harriers perform a spectacular courtship display flight of looping arcs
known as the "sky dance." Males engage in a series of steep dives and ascents,
which from the side look like a series of Us; the head-on view looks like a
series of barrel rolls. As many as 75 repetitions have been observed.

We had the side view. We saw him repeat about 12-14 times.

Mary Maertz
Outagamie County