[wisb] No Reeve at Harvey Rd. tonight

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 21:09:37 -0500

The light was so good when I got home from work that I ran up to Harvey Rd.,
just in case Steve's Reeve (kids, ask your parents why that's funny) was still
hanging around.  Alas, as I came over the hill to the south of Wangsness, I saw
the two farm dogs way out in the mud east of Harvey.  The air in my car turned
several shades of blue as I pulled up north of the east-west "hump".  What few
shorebirds there were on the west side were way back - I did finally spot a
couple of SB Dowitchers lurking in the grass.  I could see a large flock of
Dunlin flying around farther east, but they never got very close.  Still, it
appeared to be all Dunlin, with no other species in the flock.  I cruised
slowly east on DM and stopped briefly, but that road is so busy and the
shoulders are non-existent that I only gave a quick binocular scan to the north
side of the wet area.  Nothing stood out from the Dunlin, so I went down to
Wangsness.  There were a few shorebirds quite a ways out on the east end,
including a nice breeding-plumaged Black-bellied Plover, but nothing else of
note except lots of American Pipits.

I did check Goose Pond, just in case - three Dunlin and two Wilson's Phalaropes
were pretty much it on the south side of Kampen Rd. There was almost nothing
along the south shore.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.