[wisb] Nighthawks/Ellison Bay

  • From: Hilary Ford <khilaryf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Doorcobirding <doorcobirding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 08:29:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Folks,
Last Evening sitting on the deck overlooking the small prairie over the
subdivision septic system my husband called out "Nighthawks".  They had flown
over by the time I joined him, but we spent a cool hour in the waning sunlight
watching small flocks of two's up to eight's come over at intervals with the
odd goose and heron flight.  I wonder which flight of dragonflies they pursue
as they would wheel up and catch some undetected insect?
Nine years ago our younger son was married on an Illinois Farm on this day and
I was intrigued by the many swirling flocks of Nighthawks flying overhead as
the reception began - my head was constantly looking up instead of at the
guests mingling and talking to us!  Nice way to remember the day.

Hilary Ford, Ellison Bay