[wisb] Re: Night migrants: Richland county

  • From: john afdem <johnafdem@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 12:18:52 -0700 (PDT)

I recently spent a few hours on the ferry from Isle Royale (Lake Superior) to
Houghton Michigan and was fortunate to meet and spend some time with a guy who
was doing common loon banding/research at Isle Royale.

In addition to his loon research (his paying job) he's doing nocturnal
recording
using inexpensive home-made gear, and has some associates who have developed a
pc program that takes the recordings and culls through for the calls. That way,
he can listen to the calls, condensed, without having to spend 8 hours or so
going through the entire recording. They're working on getting the software to
match/id the calls and generate listings (species/time). They are also working
on building out the application so that it can be a distributed application
(like the 'search for ET' application). That way, they hope to get a few
hundred/thousand folks to do their recordings and generate a daily map of
migration patterns in considerable detail. Very cool ideas!

(Oh, and if you ever get a chance to go to Isle Royale, go!! The birds there
(most species anyway) are so wild they don't even care that you're there.

John Afdem

Okauchee, WI