[wisb] New spring birds Iowa County

  • From: "Meredith" <net.notes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, " Mary S" <msmith112@xxxxxxx>, "Arnette" <arnettesgrooming@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 09:40:50 -0500

Hi all,
Spring continues to unfold. We began seeing male Indigo Buntings over the
weekend and then this morning, the first male Baltimore Oriole came by.

The baby Bluebirds seemed to have survived several nights in the low 30s but
were given a few extra mealworms to help them along. The parents seem to be
eating or feeding quite a bit of Bluebird Delight suet mix as well. I've
noticed they don't usually go through much unless it's pretty cold.

Off topic: This spring as given us several plant delights as well. I've
found the first clump of Lady Slippers I've seen here on our property. Also
found two Showy Orchis. Both were found while I was out spraying Garlic
Mustard. We also are beginning to see quite a few Trilliums, too, instead of
just the one or two stragglers we've seen the last few years. Maybe getting
rid of some of the evil weed is allowing these other plants to come back up.
I can't help but thinking it's a winning situation for critters and birds as
well as the flowers.

And a further aside, I found a very unusual Jack in the Pulpit. It has two
spadices coming from one spathe. I thought my camera did some sort of freaky
double exposure (can digital even do that?) but I took another look at the
plant and it really does have two preachers in the one pulpit.

Looking for warmer weather,

Meredith Daggett

Mineral Point, WI