[wisb] Nelson's Sparrow-yes Dane County

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 17:14:23 -0500

This morning at Lake Barney I found only one Nelson's Sparrow but this may
be because of my late arrival (10:30 A.M.) Additionally, I did not remain
long,
because even though Steve Thiessen indicated the hunt opened at noon,
whether legal or not, the hunt was in full swing with shotgun blasts every
few

minutes. I saw one Wood Duck drop, so this was the real thing, not practice.
I don't know if my presence near the shoreline would bother the hunters,

but I decided not to look for the LeContes or any more Nelson's Sparrows.

Thanks to Steve for reporting this location. After the loss of the Milwaukee
CGI to birding , Nelson's Sparrows have been hard to find.

My first stop of the morning was Nine Springs and it was quite "unbirdy". I
found zero shorebirds, only Song, Swamp, Savannah, Lincoln Sparrows and

one Dark-eyed Junco. Even the usually reliable sparrow hangout in the
northeast corner was dead.

Pheasant Branch did not dissapoint. I saw only five warbler species, but one
was a Black -throated Blue feeding 2 feet above the ground only 10 feet

away. I also saw a Scarlet Tanager (had not expected to see them again until
next May) and personal first of the season Fox Sparrows.

The only shorebirds I saw today were a Black-bellied Plover and Pectoral
Sandpiper at STH60 and Harvey Rd. (Columbia County).

I apologize for the poorly written report I submitted last night. In
Milwaukee County at Shorewood Nature Preserve there were four Wild Turkeys
and

only one turkey watcher (me). I need to review my sentence structure before
clicking "send".

Thomas C. Wood,Menomonee Falls,Waukesha County