[wisb] Nelson's Sparrow- Richland County

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 13:08:36 -0500

Hey everyone,
I went searching for Harris' Sparrow this morning to try and add one to my
county list.  As it ended up, I found every other sparrow under the sun except
Harris'. Did get a new county bird tho!
I birded down along the southwestern corner of the county this morning along
the WI river.
Along the eastern edge of Windward Square Rd, I found a mixed flock of
Sparrows, mostly Savannahs, but I did manage to find a single Nelson's
Sparrow!!! The warm buffy color on the head, darker cheek patch, flat-headed
Ammodramus shape stood out quite well.  Unfortunately, it did not pose for
photos like Jenny Wenzel's bird did. County bird #229!! :D
I hiked around in the Foxtail and managed to kick up a rather unexpected
Henslow's Sparrow as well.
Sparrows for the morning were: Chipping, Song, White-throated, White-crowned,
Vesper, Savannah, Henslow's, Field, Nelson's, House "Sparrow"

I also saw my FOS Northern Shrike!! Interestingly, it was in the same place as
one that stayed all last winter, but this one appears to be a juvie.

Btw, as a side note, over at Mississippi Explorer Cruises, we will be starting
our fall migration cruises out of Lansing, IA on Oct 29-30 and running them for
3 weekends. Hope to see some of you out on the river! :D

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County Interpretive Naturalist Mississippi
Explorer Cruises
http://mississippiexplorer.com/chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.nabirding.com/http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)