[wisb] My Spark bird

  • From: Clark Lindo <clarklindo19@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 15:17:07 -0600

I grew up at Kettlegate, half way between Roe Point and Pua Kau Tuk on
the lake South of Oshkosh.  Our dining room table faced a picture window
with a flat square bird feeder placed on top of a large flower pot used
during the summer.  While eating we would watch the birds feed just a
few feet from us.  We frequently saw a pair of Cardinals feed.  That
Spring, they nested in a fir next to the same feeder with the nest
clearly visible from our window.  I would watch the mother take care of
her young every day.  She knew we were watching, but never minded.  I
frequently heard the male Cardinal sing, and while outside would try to
whistle his call.  By the end of the summer, he would come to me.  When
school started, I would peddle to my third grade class at Boyd school.
I would whistle, and the Cardinal would follow me along Hwy 45 until
reaching Hesser's Supper Club, (now gone, became a Union Hall, then tore
down for housing) where I would turn West to Boyd School.  On my way
home, my Cardinal would greet me at Hesser's, and I would whistle as he
followed  me home.  This went on for the two years I went to Boyd.  I
transferred to Campus School in the city for fifth grade on and missed
my Cardinal, but never lost interest in birding.