[wisb] Mourning Warbler- Oneida County

  • From: DeeAnne Meliopoulos <deeanne.mel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 18:10:14 -0400

Hello all, today while in a wooded area near a lake, I saw what I am 99%
sure is a female MOURNING WARBLER. I saw that its overall color was yellow
and that it was grayish on the back but bright yellow underneath, with a
slight white eye ring. Unfortunately I was working at the time and my boss
was in a big hurry so I only got a couple of looks! However, looking at the
bird guide I could not find anything else that looked like it. I have seen
many female Common Yellowthroats and I know it wasn't that, also it did not
have yellow on the cheeks like a female Hooded Warbler. I did manage to get
a great look at a Yellow Warbler while paddling by a willowy island, though.
We also had a flock of ~20 Bonaparte's Gulls on Nokomis Lake.
The yard has been overflowing with migrants as many other people's seem to
be: yesterday there was a VEERY and either a Gray-cheeked or Swainson's
Thrush hopping around on the ground within 5 feet of each other. There's
also been a NORTHERN PARULA coming in to eat the orange I put out for the
BALTIMORE ORIOLE (at least 2 males around- 1 male was carrying nesting
material)- very nice because it's the first time I haven't gotten warbler
neck looking at a Parula! There have also been Black-throated Green Warbler,
Black-throated Blue Warbler, American Redstart, Black-and-white Warbler,
tons of Yellow-rumpeds, and a voracious plethora of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks
that are threatening to bankrupt my birdseed fund.

DeeAnne Meliopoulos
Harshaw