[wisb] More redpolls in SW Madison

  • From: Myrna Deaton <mdeaton@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 16:49:37 -0500 (EST)

Today I saw a flock of nearly 100 redpolls feeding in birch trees in my
neighborhood.  The flock was constantly moving from tree to tree and spooking
every time a vehicle came along, so it was difficult to count them or check
each one.  There was one very white bird that could be a Hoary.  It had no
visible streaking on the undertail or flanks and from what I could see of the
back the ground color was also very pale.  I was unable to see the rump to
positively say it was a Hoary.  I will try again tomorrow.  Hopefully the
lighting will be better.

The birds were moving up and down Muirfield Road between Lindfield Rd. and
Brimley Court.

Myrna Deaton
Madison, Dane County