[wisb] More chances to hear Doug Tallamy's important message

  • From: Cutright.Noel <Noel.Cutright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 19:57:58 +0000

Bringing Nature Home author to speak in Racine March 5

Dr. Doug Tallamy, whose book "Bringing Nature Home: How You Can Sustain
Wildlife with Native Plants" has topped every nature-lover's must-read list,
will speak at The Golden Rondelle Theater in Racine on Monday, March 5, at 6:30
p.m.

A vibrant and captivating speaker, Doug Tallamy reminds us that 54% of the U.S.
is suburban/urban and 40% is in agriculture. This leaves precious little
natural habitat for wildlife, including the many migrating birds that are
declining. While parks and preserves are important, he asserts, they just
aren't big enough to ensure the biodiversity needed for our wildlife's - and
our own - well-being.
The good news, however, is that the 128 million houses in the United States
offer 128 million opportunities to put the right plants back in our landscape,
plants that will support the insects that support birds and other wildlife.
Insects are highly selective in what plants they will eat, and since 96% of
birds in North America raise their young on insects, the relationship is clear:
no bugs, no birds.
Professor of Entomology and Wildlife Ecology at the University of Delaware, Dr.
Doug Tallamy speaks to our times and offers workable solutions that each of us
can contribute to.
The Golden Rondelle Theater is located at 1525 Howe St. in Racine. Seating is
free but limited, and reservations are required. Call 262-260-2154.

Dr. Tallamy also will be visiting Wisconsin for The Prairie Enthusiasts annual
meeting in Menomonie on February 25 where he will be the banquet speaker.
http://www.theprairieenthusiasts.org/conference12/2012%20Conference%20Info.pdf

Noel Cutright, Ozaukee County