[wisb] Re: Monday morning - Veteran's Park (Milwaukee)

  • From: "Jym Mooney & Carol Lee Hopkins" <hopmoon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 19:20:51 -0500

Hey Tom, look again.  Your portrait of three night-herons has a
Yellow-crowned on each end with a Black-crowned in the middle.

Note that the end birds have thin white edges on the covert feathers, with
small white dots at the ends.  Also note the long legs and all dark, thick
bills.  The center bird lacks the white feather edges, and the white spots
are noticeably larger than on the other two birds.  This photo is an
excellent side-by-side comparison of the two species.  Well done!

The night-heron in flight is the Black-crowned.  Note the very yellow bill.

Jym Mooney, Milwaukee