[wisb] Milwaukee today/Milwaukee County

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 18:19:39 -0500

I birded from Veteran's Park to Shorewood Nature preserve today. Personal
first-of-year birds seen were Chimney Swift, Cliff Swallow, House Wren,
Orange-crowned Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler and Pine Warbler.
Two Black-crowned Night-Herons are still hanging around the Veteran's Park
Lagoon.

At lower Lake Park around noon I saw the Franklin's Gull that Jym Mooney
posted; it was at the far north end near the Linwood water treatment plant.
Since most of the winter ducks have left I was surprised to see a lingering
White-winged Scoter.

Its difficult to say which was more spectacular today, the Chimney Swift and
swallow (6 species) extravaganza that was going on this morning above the
Lake Park bluffs, or the Yellow-rumped Warbler fallout at Lake Park.
Hundreds of these warblers filled the trees along the bluff and were even
lined up along the concrete wall of the bridge near Bartollata's. I wonder
if there will be any insects left for later migrants! The Carolina Wren
continues to be cooperative, singing near Lincoln Memorial Drive this
morning,

and later back near its usual place near the Wolcott Statue.

At Shorewood Nature Preserve there was a second year Lesser Black-backed
Gull and Spotted Sandpipers.

Easy to find today were Brown Thrasher, Both kinglets, Brown Creeper,
Eastern Towhee, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Palm Warbler,

White-throated Sparrow, Field Sparrow, Chipping Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow,
Savannah Sparrow, Hermit Thrush, Caspian Tern, and Bonaparte's Gulls.

There were a couple of Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers in Lake Park, but Fox
Sparrows and Winter Wrens seem to have left.

Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County