[wisb] Milwaukee lakefront, last week - Brief photo essay

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 18:02:26 -0800 (PST)

I've been laid up with a bad cold for a number of days and haven't been up to
posting to WISBIRDN. Just wanted to report on some stuff from last week, before
winter finally showed up in southeastern Wisconsin. :-)

* On Wednesday, January 11, I was sitting comfortably outside on a lawn chair
on my balcony, looking at Lake Michigan. Nearby to my left a House Finch was
singing boisterously at the top of a tree. Straight ahead a Northern Cardinal
was singing loudly in a tree on the Lake Michigan bluff. Really felt like
spring! I tried to capture the Cardinal in a photo, but failed. But I got a
good photo of the lake bluff:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6711448663/in/photostream

* On Tuesday, January 10, I got all excited about a possible Barrow's Goldeneye
behind the Milwaukee Art Museum. Upon further review, I'm pretty sure this
photo shows a first year male Common Goldeneye. What do you think:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6680927503/in/photostream

* Gadwalls continued to be present at North Point. Here are a few:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6680943777/in/photostream

* The sand from Bradford Beach has reached Milwaukee's Lincoln Memorial Drive.
Evidence of strong southeasterly winds:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6680939871/in/photostream

Finally, how nice was the weather in Milwaukee last week??

* The kite store in Veterans Park was open for business!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6680931803/in/photostream

* These boat trailers indicate that people were out fishing on Lake Michigan!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6680923495/in/photostream

* And here's a boat speeding along the lake:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6680935981/in/photostream

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee