[wisb] Milwaukee Lakefront Ducks, 11/17-11/18

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 16:39:26 -0800 (PST)

I birded the north and south sections of my walking BIGBY route yesterday and
today. The birding was very slow, but still a few good highlights, including
two new BIGBY species.

North Point had some pretty good numbers, but only a few species:

* A couple dozen Mallards.

* Maybe a dozen Gadwalls.

* Several Black Scoters farther out.

* The big highlight was 50+ Buffleheads pretty close to shore. There were a lot
of courtship displays going on. There was lots of frantic head-bobbing...almost
as if they were Bufflehead bobblehead dolls. Lots of very short, very low
explosive fights, with landings like they were skiing. Males chasing males
frantically while swimming in the water. Lots of vigorous wing-flapping. These
displays actually are pretty comical (if you're not a Bufflehead, that
is...looks like serious business from their point of view).

The southern half of my BIGBY route was once again extremely un-birdy, with
maybe a dozen species in total. The weather was very wintry. But there were
still enough highlights to make the trip worthwhile:

* There was a singing Dark-eyed Junco in a tree in Veterans Park. These small
birds sing such a surprisingly loud, exuberant and beautiful song. In my
experience juncos are largely silent, with a few calls here and there. It's a
real treat to watch one of these little guys singing his heart out.

* A solitary female Scaup. Pretty sure it was Lesser Scaup. I know it's hard to
tell female Lessers from female Greaters in the field, but I had a really
close-up view and I'm sure enough to make it MilWALKee BIGBY species #177 and
2010 "combo" BIGBY species #217.

* One Horned Grebe. Had it in sight for just a few minutes, but I'm pretty
sure. MilWALKee BIGBY species #178 and 2010 "combo" BIGBY species #218.

* A pair of Hooded Mergansers. I think this species is so exotic looking,
especially when showing their crests in profile. I'd love to see one in
breeding plumage...maybe next spring.

* I think I may have found a freshly excavated fox den in the southeast corner
of Lakeshore State Park. At least I hadn't noticed it before today. I'll have
to keep an eye on it.

* A very hardy wildflower is still blooming in Lakeshore State Park, even
though December is less than two weeks from today: http://bit.ly/cXshUB

* The docks in McKinley Marina are empty...a sure indication that winter is
just around the corner: http://bit.ly/bI3fbu

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee