[wisb] Milwaukee Lakefront, 3/25/11 - Bufflehead love, one new BIGBY species

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:54:45 -0700 (PDT)

Walked the northern half of my Milwaukee walking BIGBY route today. Added one
new 2011 BIGBY species, bringing my total for the year to 79 species.

I'm thinking I've got a chance to maybe beat my personal record for earliest
date to reach 100 walking BIGBY species in a year. I need 21 more species
between now and tax day (4/15).

I observed several signs of spring today:

* It's only about five weeks until people can start mooring their boats in
McKinley Marina!

* A county parks crew was removing the snow fences from McKinley Beach.

* Spring wildflowers were starting to push through the leaves in the woods on
the Lake Michigan bluff at Lake Park. Daffodil-like shoots about 4-6 inches in
length.

A few bird highlights:

* Female Northern Shoveler off of North Point. BIGBY species #79 for the year.

* Four male Buffleheads were competing to win the hand of a single solitary
female. They were in a tight ring around her. Lots of head-bobbing,
wing-flapping, etc. Very comical antics, although I'm sure it was dead serious
business to them. The female seemed rather disinterested...

* Two Common Loons diving off of Bradford Beach.

* A Black-capped Chickadee was earnestly repeating its melancholy "tee-bee"
song continuously.

* And an Eastern Bluebird was in full song at the north end of Bradford Beach.

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee