[wisb] Milwaukee Lakefront, 10/27/11 - Cackling Goose, Red Admiral butterfly (photos)

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 14:06:26 -0700 (PDT)

Yesterday afternoon's weather was beautiful for a stroll along Milwaukee's Lake
Michigan shoreline. Not a tremendous amount of bird activity, but a very
pleasant outing none the less.

A few photo highlights:

* Saw another Cackling Goose hanging out with the Canadas in Milwaukee's
Veterans Park. Makes me wonder if they might not be a little more common than I
tend to think? The Canada Goose flocks are increasingly larger at this time of
year, and you have to sort through them a while before the Cacklers stand out.
Here's a photo. The Cackler is on the right:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6287141861/in/photostream

* Speaking of Canada Geese, here's how dense the flocks can get in Veterans
Park:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6287665510/in/photostream

* I like this butterfly photo. The butterfly is quite striking, and the shadow
it is throwing on the sidewalk in the late afternoon sun is rather interesting.
I've been told it's a Red Admiral:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6287667114/in/photostream

* For some reason I really like this photo of prairie grass silhouetted against
the sky. I took it yesterday in Milwaukee's Lakeshore State Park:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6287143371/in/photostream

* Finally, another shot from Lakeshore State Park. This time it's wildflower
seed heads silhouetted against the late afternoon sky:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6287144947/in/photostream

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee