[wisb] Migration - strangest thing

  • From: Petherick Chris <cpetherick@xxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Wisconsin Bird List <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 17:19:43 -0500

I just had the strangest experience (for me at least) with white
throated sparrows.  I have not seen one in my yard yet this fall.  All
of a sudden, and I mean that literally, I have at least 35 of them
gathered in my yard.  They all arrived just now.  i also have a red
bellied wp, hairy wp, downey wp and 2 WB nuthatches within 15 feet of
each other on the same tree, all pounding away - and one dog who is
very unhappy that I won't let him out.

Earlier today I had numerous unidentified thrushes in my yard.  All of
this was seen without actually trying.

Anyone else seeing a large influx of migratory birds today in the
Milwaukee county area?

Chris Petherick
Fox Point, Northeastern Milwaukee County