[wisb] Meadow Valley CBC

  • From: Andy P <andypaulios@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 13:41:30 -0800 (PST)

Not all the results are in but it was a nice day for a bird count on Wednesday.

Quentin came through and added two new species for the count - Red-headed
Woodpecker and Chipping Sparrow.  There is quite a bit of snow in the area and
that made access to this already inaccessible area challenging.

Very few finches but lots of chickadees this year.  A good hatch??  Very few
raptors and no goldens at last check.  I wonder if the snow was too deep for
rough-legs?  A handful of ruffed grouse and some very cold looking turkeys!  My
personal best bird of the day was a flyover siskin but my favorite was watching
a large flock of snow buntings feeding on the cranberry dikes.

Andy Paulios
McFarland, WI

P.S.  I haven't checked real hard but no sign of the scoter since last week but
the specklebelly is still lurking.  She? He? likes to roost at the Jaeger road
boatlaunch off of Exchange Street.