[wisb] Mead Wildlife Area birds

My wife and I spent two hours at the Mead Wildlife Area south of Wausau.  At
the various flowages along Smokey Hill and Rangeline Roads, we saw likely
2,000+ waterfowl.  Highlights included:   2 Common Loons (the first we've seen
this year), many (500+) Ring-necked Ducks, over 200 Redheads, 50+ Mallards,
Green-winged Teals, Blue-winged Teals, American Wigeons, Canvasbacks, Hooded
Mergansers, Buffleheads, American Coots, and 3 Trumpeter Swans.  Also:  50+
Tree Swallows, 1 Killdeer, several Northern Harriers and Red-tailed Hawks, one
Bald Eagle and one American Kestrel.  The two Whooping Cranes that we observed
on March 17 and 18 on the far side of the flowage west of Rangeline Road were
not visible today.  Other non-avian sightings included 2 frolicking mink along
Smokey Hill Road, a dozen Painted Turtles, and lots of jumping carp.

Steve Fisher
Wausau, Marathon County