[wisb] Long Weekend Highlights, S. Kettle Moraine SF

  • From: Andrea Szymczak <harrierhawk1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 07:46:39 -0500

Took off Friday from work and made a long birding weekend out of it........The
glorious highlights from multiple locations in both Waukesha and Jefferson Co
are:

Friday April 30th---

Scuppernong Ski/Hiking Trail: SWAINSON'S THRUSH, WOOD THRUSH, GOLDEN-CR
KINGLET, plus many more of the previously reported warbler sp. including 4 (!)
HOODED WARBLERS (within 2 mile trail walk).

Scuppernong Springs: YELLOW-THR VIREO, BLUE-WINGED WARBLER, COMMON
YELLOWTHROAT, ROSE-BR GROSBEAK, & my 1st WHITE-CR SPARROWS of the year!

Emma Carlin Trail & vicinity: BLACK & WHITE WARBLER, N. PARULA, & NASHVILLE
WARBLER

UW Field Station: WARBLING VIREO, pair of BROAD-WINGED HAWKS, & BALTIMORE ORIOLE

Saturday May 1st---

Scuppernong Ski/Hiking: Only "new species" was a RED-EYED VIREO

Emma Carlin: Heard my FOY SCARLET TANAGER for a couple of minutes, WOOD THRUSH,
& YELLOW-THR VIREO

Sunday May 2nd---

Scuppernong SKi/Hiking: Only "new" bird for me was GRAY CATBIRD.  The HOODED
WARBLER numbers are building quickly, with 7 inidviduals now present!

Hwy ZZ, Hwy N/Wilton Rd: CLAY-COLORED SPARROWS, BOBOLINK, GREAT EGRETS, many
PALM WARBLERS, N. HARRIER, ROSE-BR GROSBEAK, & E. MEADOWLARKS.  I didn't hear
any Henslow's Sparrow, although I wouldn't doubt that they are lurking around!

Many more good days are coming :)

Andrea Szymczak

Waukesha, WI