[wisb] Location in subject lines

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 20:33:40 -0600

I had a backchannel question about putting location/county in subject lines.
This was my response:

"The location/county in your subject line isn't a requirement, but it is a
courtesy and very much appreciated by many listserv members.  A lot of folks
just skim the subject lines, looking for something they're interested in, or
close to them, so it's a good idea to do it (personally, I'd probably "skim and
delete" a lot of posts, but I really have to read pretty much all of them as
list monitor.)  I get a lot of backchannel requests to remind people to do it.
As I said, it's courteous and will win you some fans, especially when migration
picks up in spring and the volume of Wisbirdn posts increases geometrically."

Note that we're referring to the location or county of your sighting(s) -
obviously, if you're driving through multiple counties and want to report what
you saw on the way, you could just give a general reference (for example, I
often keep track of the raptors I see in winter when I go anywhere out of town.
 I might use a subject line such as: "Madison to Oshkosh raptors today" or
something like that.)

Peter Fissel
Somewhat less peevish Wisbirdn Monitor Guy
Madison, County of Dane, Land of Oz, er, WI