[wisb] Lesser Yellowlegs, waterfowl/ Dodge,Columbia, Dane Counties

Today I birded Dodge County north of Beaver Dam, several locations in
Columbia County, and the Dane CTH V Scumacher Rd. area.
Highlights were:
1 Lesser Yellowlegs on the east side of Schoeneberg Marsh where Harvey Rd.
meets Mielke Rd. It was a personal first of year for me. Before leaving the
area at 5 P.M. tonight I rechecked the same spot and could not find it, but
I was looking directly into the sun.
Greater White-fronted Geese- widespread. Almost every large Canada Goose
flock has at least a couple. I estimate I saw about 200 today. While at
Schoeneberg I met Dan Jackson who said there were many down in the marsh,
but quite far back. With the high wind hampering birding, I decided
not to look for them. Best places were Goose Pond(approx. 72) and DM and I
pond (approx. 80), both in Columbia County.
Snow Geese- 5 along Buckhorn Rd. south of Oakwood in Dodge County, 1 at
Goose Pond, and 1 at DM and I pond in Columbia County.
Ross's Geese- 3. One was in Dane County in the CTH V and Schumacher Rd.
pond, and two were at the Harvey Wangsness fields in Columbia County.
Snow or Ross's Geese-9. Insufficient looks to ID.
Trumpeter Swan- 5 at Goose Pond, 3 at Kroncke Rd. pond north of CTH DM in
Columbia County.
Cackling Geese-widespread. I did not attempt to keep a count. Best spot was
Harvey Wangsness in Columbia County.
I saw quite a variety of ducks but a Wood Duck at the Kroncke Rd. location
and a Blue-winged Teal at DM and I ponds were personal first of year for me.
I believe I saw an American Pipit at the Schumacher Rd. pond (east side of
Schumacher Rd.) Unfortunately, it was on the far side of the pond which is
an insane distance to try and ID such a small bird. It was a rather
non-descript brown, teetered when it walked and bobbed its tail frequently.
I also
thought I saw white edges on the tail. The behavior was right, but I need
more plumage characteristics to call it.

Thomas Wood,Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County