[wisb] Lake Park Yesterday, Anting Robins, and Screech Owl

  • From: "Evan Barrientos" <ebarrientos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 10:43:15 -0500

Yesterday Lake Park was slow to start but then really got going. Sapsuckers and
Flickers are everywhere. Had all the woodpecker species minus pileated and
hairy just stading in one place. The list of what I saw on the warbler walk and
on my own is further below
In my front lawn, a saw a Robin "Anting" for the first time. This is when a
bird stands on an anthill, lets the ants crawl over itself, and then eats the
ants. After the bird left I looked at the anthill and saw the ants were started
to eat the scat. A few minutes later I looked again and saw that an ant had
gotten stuck in the scat and suffocated.

At night I was in a friend's lawn in Mequon and I heard an Eastern Screech Owl
repeatedly calling.

Lake Park:
  1.. Gadwall
  2.. Cooper's Hawk