[wisb] Lake Michigan 10/24

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 15:38:25 -0500

I spent several hours at Harrington Beach SP this morning.  Arriving
at 8:30 I started at the end of Cty D on the north side of the park.
It was excellent as for the hour I was there about one Common Loon
either was flying by (most south) or on the lake per minute. Within
about 15 minutes I also picked up a Red-necked Grebe, Red-throated
Loon, Horned Grebes (on the lake), 3 Bonaparte's Gulls and then the
highlight, an immature BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE.  It was about half way
out, originally directly out from where I was parked.  It flew some
what to the south, then circled back and then headed south.  Shortly
after an immature Forster's Tern cruised by.  All three scoters were
seen, plus several Long-tailed Ducks.
After a cold hour I drove part of the park, eventually getting to the
lower parking lot.  Walking out to the point I found the Bay Beach
bird club scanning the lake.  Joining them for the next 1.5 hours we
also noted Common Loons migrating south, plus a group of 10-12
swimming, White-winged and Surf Scoters, Horned Grebes, a lone Snow
Bunting, plus migrating Dunlins and Sanderlings.  (For the time I
spent at Harrington I tallied about 90 Common Loons, plus the Red-
throated Loon.)

I worked my way up the lake stopping at Kohler/Andrae SP where the
feeders had about 8 Purple Finches, 2 White-cr. Sparrows and a
Chipping Sparrow, among other birds.  Sheboygan proved as it has
whenever I have been there this month---quiet!  The only interesting
birds were single Tree and Barn Swallows flying by the parking lot
near the point.

Cleveland was also amazingly quiet, except for a Merlin that was
heading south by the bluff carrying a songbird---unknown id.
Likewise Fischer Creek Park, Manitowoc and Two Rivers were absurdly
quiet. However heading over to Collins Marsh I was surprised to find
a Goshawk migrating southward along JJ.  Collins Marsh had 200 Ruddy
Ducks and 10 Lesser Scaup, plus a Great Egret.

For the day I think I ended with about 85 species.

(One wonders what one would see if they spent the entire day at
Harrington Beach, such as we do on the Superior weekend.)
Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI