[wisb] Lake Farm County Park, Madison, Dane County

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 14:55:34 -0500

What a beautiful morning to be out birding!

Highlights:

I started birding with a pair of flyover Great Blue Herons.  I knew then it
would be a good birding day.

I had the most Ruby-crowned Kinglets I've ever had - 18.  They were
scattered, one here one there, all over the park.  They were all singing.
Their twitter is much better than the online kind.

At one point I had dueling Brown Thrashers.  I couldn't pick a winner.  They
were both great.

Warblers - I saw 15 Yellow-rumped Warblers scattered mostly in pairs all
over.  I also had 4 Palm Warblers in the woods on the west side of the
prairie.

I had good numbers of singing White-throated Sparrows (30) as well as 8
Swamp Sparrows, 7 Chipping Sparrows, 1 Field Sparrow, 1 House Sparrow and 16
Song Sparrows.

There were not many species of waterfowl on the lake, mostly American Coots
and few Mallards, Canada Geese, Blue-winged Teal and Pied-billed Grebes.

I had 2 Dark-eyed Juncos.  And I thought the one I saw Thursday was my last
of the season.

Two osprey flew overhead, neither carrying a fish.  Check out this osprey
catching fish youtube video a friend directed me to:
<http://www.youtube.com/embed/nA3LtXnNIto?feature=player_embedded>
http://www.youtube.com/embed/nA3LtXnNIto?feature=player_embedded

My eBird report is appended below.

Good birding to all,