[wisb] King Rail, Horicon Marsh

  • From: Todd Wilson <maxpaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisb <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 13:23:58 -0500

I was at the end of Point Road this morning at dawn, by the drainage
ditch. I saw a very large, long billed rail fly across the channel and
into the reeds. After about a minute it started giving the male
advertising call. Managed to get a decent recording of it. At one point
the bird stepped out into the open and I could see the very large size,
long curved bill, bright orange neck and breast, and black and white
barring on the flanks. Only the second King Rail I've ever heard, and
the first I've seen.
I've posted the audio recording on my website here:

http://www.wisconsinbirdsounds.com/king_rail.php

Todd Wilson
Glendale, WI