[wisb] Kewaunee Harbor

  • From: newbirding@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 18:05:29 +0000

Today I braved the winds of the Lake Shore for some birding.

In the harbor there were:
Bufflehead
Canadian Gesse
Black Duck pair
Herring gulls (could not scope out any. Odd ones.) The smoke house next to
Harbor Express was throwing fish out on the ice for them. That was quite a show!
2 large rafts of common Goldeneyes.
with a few common Mergansers and Greater Scaup in the group.

In the park behind the harbor were the same species as above braving the waves.
I could not believe how well the ducks handled getting pummeled by the icy cold
waves like nothing even hit them.
The only different duck species I saw over there was a Lesser Scaup pair right
at the end of the rock wall where the break water starts.
Well worth the trip for me today.
Have a great day everyone!

Tonissa VerHaagh
Green Bay-Brown County