[wisb] Juneau County, Bass Hollow Recreation Area

  • From: "Cynthia Bridge" <cynthiabridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 21:40:02 -0500

Late entry from Saturday trip to Bass Hollow Recreation Area.

There seems to be something to love about the many hollows in Wisconsin and
this one doesn't disappoint in terms of birds and spring ephemerals.
We(spouse and self) hiked the 3 mile loop which took us 7 hours! Yikes! But
we enjoyed every minute. Between this area and a brief stop at a nearby
marsh on Kennedy Rd. we accumulated 68 species with 19 warblers (17
occurring in the recreation area). Highlights included: MOURNING (5) , CAPE
MAY, CERULEAN(6), HOODED(2) AND BLACKBURNIAN WARBLERS; LOUISIANA
WATERTHRUSH, ACADIAN FLYCATCHERS (5), YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOOS (6) and I'm
pretty certain.an OLIVE SIDED FLYCATCHER (I see these frequently near my
family's property near the U.P. but they are always calling so I don't think
much about their field marks; this one was not calling, seems right on for
Olive sided with the olive sides, crested head and white flank patches.
However the yellowish hue on the breast is casting a tiny shadow of doubt,
feedback appreciated.link to photos here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/speed.of.a.plant/OliveSidedFlycatcher#)

Here's a link to my blog for details, photos, plants and birds of Bass
Hollow: http://speed-of-a-plant.blogspot.com/2010/05/bass-hollow.html

May many more birds come our way,

Cynthia Bridge

Fort Atkinson, Jefferson Cty