[wisb] Re: Jaegerfest is coming...

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 17:26:33 -0500

For those of you who might not be familiar with "Jaegerfest", this extended
birding field trip will take place in Superior (on Wisconsin Point) on Sept.
24-26.  Most participants typically arrive sometime on Friday, but some will
be birding on Wisconsin Point beginning as early as Tuesday of that week.
This year will mark the 12th anniversary of this annual outing.

We have had very good success with finding jaegers on this outing, with some
years being quite spectacular -- which is why we coined this event
"Jaegerfest".  The most likely of the jaeger species is Parasitic, but we
have also found Pomarine and Long-tailed on a few occasions.  We also
typically find a nice variety of gulls, with Sabine's being one of the most
highly sought.  We have found at least one during most years, and one year
we had several flocks that totalled at least 30 birds!!  Arctic Terns have
also been found on several occasions, as have Pacific Loons, and an
assortment of other rarities.  Who knows what might turn up this year, with
the possibility of "hurricane birds" drifting into the upper Midwest?!!
This is generally a reliable time/place to find Harris's Sparrows, as well
as a variety of other sparrows, warblers, shorebirds, etc.

One thing to keep in mind about this trip is that ANYTHING may be possible
weather-wise, so it would be prudent to come prepared.  We have experienced
some very warm days, when shorts and t-shirts are fine -- but we have also
had very cold mornings, with frost on the ground and cold winds blowing off
Lake Superior -- so bringing a hat, gloves and a warm winter parka would be
recommended.  Wet weather is also possible, so make sure you have a
rainsuit, boots, and protection for your optics.  One suggestion would be to
bring some stiff plastic sheeting and rubber bands so you can cover your
scope, as well as soft cotton cloths for drying wet lenses.  We have birded
in all weather on Wisconsin Point -- except for during heavy downpours or
lightning storms.

Be sure to bring a cooler and lots of food (sandwich makings, etc.) and
beverages, as most people stay all day on The Point for each of those days.
A comfortable folding chair might be a wise addition.  We are planning to
arrange for a porta-potty again this year, so I will be happy to
receive/collect any donations to help cover the cost (in Superior), so WSO
doesn't have to pay for this.  Also we recommend that you bring along your
family-band radio(s), as this is always a popular and useful means of
communication.  I will have some extras on hand to loan out.  We use
Motorolas radios on channel 11 and sub-channel 22 for these birding events,
and they have proven very helpful for reporting bird sightings.

Most birders stay in motels, but some choose to stay in one of the nearby
campgrounds.

As always, there is no requirement to be a WSO member to attend this outing.
Just show up on The Point anytime after 7 AM on any of those three days and
join in the fun!

Tom Schultz
WSO Field Trips co-chair
Green Lake