[wisb] Re: Immature vs. juvenile (no WI sightings)

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 22:22:52 -0500

Mike and all,
Juvenile is actually the technically correct term to use.  Juvenile refers to a
specific stage in development. My understanding is that Juvenile usually refers
to a first year or fledgling bird.

Immature refers to any stage of development younger than Adult.

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)