[wisb] Hummer feeding question

  • From: Maureen Gross <cygnusbuccinator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WisBirdNet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 08:58:04 -0500

I have a question about feeding hummingbirds that I have not seen
addressed in any of my reading materials.  I thought the WIBirdNet group
would be very helpful here.  The question is what is the best water to
mix with sugar when feeding hummingbirds.  Some folks have city water
which can contain chlorine and who knows what else.  I have well water
which tends to be 'hard water'containg calcium and magnesium.  I also
can use softened water which does not contain these elements.  I thought
it might be best to use the 'hard water' because the hummers might get
some health benefit from these natural ingredients.  But when I do use
the hard water, I find that these elements tend to precipitate out
within several hours and form a cloudy film at the bottom of the
feeder.  So what is the best water to use for feeding hummers?
Thanks in advance for any advice, comments or insights,
Maureen Gross
Mukwonago, Waukesha County