[wisb] Horicon shorebirds this p.m.

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 21:16:32 -0500

I checked both sides of Hwy 49 at Horicon Marsh late this afternoon - winds
were so gusty that I had to crouch behind the car (in one case, I actually
lowered my tripod all the way and just sat on the shoulder to scope.)  There
was a very nice variety on both sides.  In Dodge County, I had lots of
Black-bellied Plovers, Semi-palm Plovers, boatloads of Least SPs, Pectorals, a
Baird's or two, White-rumped & Stilt SP, Lesser YL, a few Dowitchers (including
one that I think was a Short-billed - plumage looked different, and it seemed
rather sleek when relaxed, even in the wind,) and a Sanderling. (All these east
of the pumphouse.)  On the Fond du Lac Co. side (west of the historical
marker,) many BB Plovers, both Yellowlegs, several Wilson's Snipe, and tons of
LB Dowitchers.  I left the house this morning before seeing the posts about the
potential Ruff, unfortunately, although I was trying to check anything that
looked out of the ordinary.

I cannot recall seeing so many shorebirds so late in October...

Peter Fissel
Madison WI