[wisb] Horicon field trip today - wheee!!

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 16:53:52 -0500

John Romano and I led a Madison Audubon trip to Horicon Marsh today.  We met
Bill Volkert at the south end for an overview of the marsh, then birded the
marsh and woods there for a couple of hours.  Our first notable bird was a
WILLOW FLYCATCHER right at the start of the trail.  Had a nice variety of
warblers, including MAGNOLIA, B-T GREEN, NASHVILLE, BLACKBURNIAN (heard only by
a few,) BLACKPOLL (ditto,) and tons of AM. REDSTARTS.  Still good numbers of
TENNESSEE, PALM & "MYRTLE", too.  Out over the marsh, we saw several FORSTER'S
TERNS, GREEN & B-C NIGHT HERONS.

Next stop was Dike Rd., where we had four B-N STILTS, COMMON MOORHEN, a very
cooperative SORA, and heard VA RAILS & MARSH WRENS.  A BOBOLINK was showing off
along the entrance road, and we had more of those up in the Bud Cook hiking
area, along with CLAY-COLORED SPARROWS and great scope looks at a SEDGE WREN.
We already had a scouting report from Steve and Nolan about what they'd seen on
Hwy 49.  The two GLOSSY & one WHITE-FACED IBIS were close enough for nice views
- at one point, I had all three in my scope, plus another BN Stilt.  Farther
west, we had a couple of STILT SPs, the two RUDDY TURNSTONES, lots of SB
DOWITCHERS, and Brian Doverspike finally spotted the AM. AVOCET way back (it
later moved a bit closer.)  We missed the godwits, though.  Nice to see (and
hear) quite a few YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS on the north side.  A cruise on the
Auto Loop and a stroll on the floating boardwalk didn't add much, although we
heard a WOOD THRUSH & E. WOOD PEWEE in the woods, and our car had an EASTERN
MEADOWLARK near the end of the loop.

All in all, it was a great day to be out, with just about all of our "target"
birds seen.  Thanks to all who participated, and particularly Bill V. for
taking the time - the man is a veritable font of knowledge.

Peter Fissel
Madison, WI