[wisb] Horicon and Sheboygan today. pics

  • From: Dave Freriks <dhfreriks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 21:56:56 -0500

Hi all,

   Thought I would share a few recent images. Sightings lately have mirrored
others. Had a nice warbler day in Lake Park on Sunday. Found a flock of 30 or
so Sanderlings with a few Semi-palmated Plovers and Sandpipers thrown in  as
well on the beach on the south end of Grant Park on Sunday also.

   Stopped by Horicon this morning. Dike Rd was  fairly dry and relatively
birdless as Daryl mentioned. Found a Least Bittern on the boardwalk on the auto
tour along with a cooperative BC Night Heron on Hwy. 49. Lots of pelicans
fairly close to the road. After an errand in Fond du lac I ran up to Sheboygan.
The water level in Lake Michigan is definately up and shorebird habitat isn't
what it was the past few years. I did manage to find a flock of about 15 or so
Semi-palmated Plovers that allowed me to get within nice photo range as they
bathed and then while most of them napped. That was it for shorebirds and I
didn't see any unusual gulls. Some pics below.

Semi-palmated Plovers

http://www.pbase.com/dhfreriks/image/116832049

http://www.pbase.com/dhfreriks/image/116832048

http://www.pbase.com/dhfreriks/image/116832047