[wisb] Horicon Marsh-Dodge Co.

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:13:47 -0500

Today I followed up on  Daryl's report of shorebirds at Horicon yesterday. I
had somewhat similar results with a few misses and only 5 Long Billed
Dowitchers
as new arrivals. Tim Oksiuta first spotted the only Red-necked Phalarope we
saw today, but  as he came to my car to inform me, two Peregrine Falcons

started hunting the large pond just east of the pumphouse scattering all the
shorebirds. The phalarope did not return until much later in the morning.

Other species seen: 15 Stilt Sandpipers, 2 White-rumped Sandpipers, 2
Black-bellied Plovers, approx. 10 A. Golden Plovers, many Pectoral
Sandpipers,

and both species of yellowlegs (sorry, I dislike trying to count large
numbers of scattered birds). I missed the Snow Goose, Sanderlings, Baird's
Sandpiper

and small peeps that Daryl found yesterday. I only saw 8 species of warblers
in contrast to the approx. 15 warbler species/day I was seeing along Lake

Michigan during the week. All the shorebirds listed were seen on the south
side of STH49 just east of the pumphouse.

Thomas C. Wood,Menomonee Falls,Waukesha County