[wisb] Horicon Marsh today (& detour notes)

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 22:01:59 -0500

After letting temps rise a bit, I headed up to Harvey Rd. to check on things.
The three Whoopers were near the road on the west side south of DM.  Only
shorebird I found in the whole Harvey/Wangsness complex was one Killdeer.  A
flock of 20 or so Am. Pipits was down at the east end of Wangsness.

I spent a couple of hours poking around Horicon at midday.  Started on Dike
Rd., where Canada Goose and other waterfowl numbers seemed to be down from last
Sunday (I saw very few geese or cranes on the way up, either.)  A flock of
about 20 Dunlin flushed from near the third turnout, and 2 Greater YLs were
poking around there.  Only found one Marsh Wren today, with a couple of
Savannah, 2 Song and a bunch of Swamp Sparrows.  Another flock of around 2
dozen Am. Pipits flew in and landed out in the downed phragmites, but some then
flew up and perched in the tree.  On my way out, there was a pair of Ringnecked
Ducks in the Phil's Island pond.

I flushed a Meadowlark (highly likely Eastern) in the Bud Cook hiking area.
Mixed flocks of blackbirds were flying over constantly.  A few Clouded Sulphur
butterflies spent a lot of time soaking up the sun.  Along Hwy 49, there were
still a few Great Egrets down at the east end of the impoundment east of the
pumphouse.  Near the next dike west of the pumphouse dike, there was another
Greater YL foraging on one side, and five Long-billed Dowitchers on the other.

Constuction notes:  Hwy 33 and County E coming into Horicon from the west are
still detoured, but you can now get into town from the south on County E (take
County S east out of Juneau.)  Also, Hwy 151 going past Beaver Dam will be
closed this week (both directions) in the stretch where the railroad tracks
are.  There were message boards and lots of orange cones - I presume there will
be a detour set up.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.