[wisb] Re: Horicon 10/15 - Upland Sandpiper

  • From: Stuart Malcolm <stuart.malcolm26@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 20:47:53 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,
I've been offline the past couple of days so haven't seen this discussion until
now. I was the one that called out "I think I've got an Upland Sandpiper" on
Saturday morning because when I first saw the bird it was standing alert with
the long neck and small head very noticeable.

I have never seen an Upland so this was a gut reaction based primarily on jizz
and posture rather than a chance to study fieldmarks. As mentioned elsewhere
the bird didn't hang around long enough for a detailed look and the wind and
lighting conditions were pretty challenging.

I have seen Ruff on numerous occasions (back in the UK) and this bird didn't
have the same jizz as Ruff which I generally think of as quite a 'chunky'
shorebird - it doesn't have the 'dainty' feel that some Sandpipers have and
which this bird had.

Of course this is not particularly scientific and I certainly didn't get a good
enough view to submit the record. Also the wind might play all sort of tricks
with posture and feathers! Ruff is certainly a possibilty.

Hopefully someone might get a chance to see the bird through a stable scope if
the wind dies down. Migratory Ruff in the UK often hang around a site for a few
days so I'm going to try to pop down to Horicon again this week because it
might still be around.

Stuart Malcolm
Appleton