[wisb] Re: Horicon 10/15 - Upland Sandpiper

  • From: "Jym Mooney & Carol Lee Hopkins" <hopmoon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Wisbirdn'" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 14:57:02 -0500

After the discussion of the possibility of the bird found yesterday being a
Ruff, I was back at Highway 49 at dawn today and spent over two hours
scanning the shorebirds.  Many more today, and much closer in.  New ones
included Spotted and Solitary Sandpipers.

I was of course hoping for another shot at the Upland SP/Ruff candidate.  I
had one interesting candidate, in the same general area as yesterday.  In
addition to the general size/shape we described yesterday, I believe I saw a
distinct white ring around the base of the bill.  Unfortunately, the bird
rose up and flew off, not to be seen again by me.  It was bright white
underneath, but I could not get a look at the upper tail/rump pattern.  And
so it remains just an intriguing possibility.

Jym Mooney, Milwaukee