[wisb] Hawk Migration - Monroe County

  • From: Lennie Lichter <lennieandmaria@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 18:29:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks.
The overnight radar made it look like there was going to be a nice morning for
birding but it turned out to be kind of quiet here.  Early on I heard a FOY
Red-shouldered Hawk calling on the other side of the road but it was soon
mobbed by Blue Jays who chased it farther away before I could see it.  Then I
noticed a first of season Sharp-shinned Hawk as it was quietly escorted through
the yard by a few Blue Jays.

Even though the wind was in the wrong direction I had been thinking that the
hawks north of here would have to be moving through soon, but it wasn't until
about 11:15 that I happened to look up at the right time to see a nice kettle
of 14 Broad-winged Hawks as they circled for altitude over the yard.  Just as
they peeled off to the south a few more Broadwings and a couple of Sharpies
formed another kettle to the north and I again heard the Red-shouldered Hawk
nearby.  I then decided to move up to our East Field so I could see more of the
sky.  This netted me another half dozen Broadwings - some of them flying pretty
low considering the time of day - as well as some more accipiters.  I came back
down to the house shortly after I saw what I assume was that same
Red-shouldered Hawk circling upward and moving south.

One other interesting find came late in the day when I heard a Ruffed Grouse
drumming.  After many years of hearing that sound all summer long, this was the
first time I heard it at all this year.

Hawk count for the day:
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 12
Cooper's Hawk - 3