[wisb] Harvey/Wangsness Rds. tonight

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 21:58:52 -0500

I took a quick run up to Columbia Co. after work today.  Numbers of shorebirds
were decent on the south side of Wangsness Rd., although variety was rather
lacking.  Lots of Pectoral, Least and Semi-palm SPs, many Killdeer and Lesser
YLs, and a lone Semi-palm Plover.  There were a couple dozen "silhouette"
shorebirds looking into the setting sun on the west side of Harvey north of
Wangsness.  Looked to be a similar mix as on Wangsness.  There was one more
Semi-palm Plover in with a bunch of Killdeer on Harvey north of Hwy 60.

I checked Goose Pond but didn't see the YC Night-Heron at sunset.  The flooded
area south of Kampen east of Goose Pond Rd. is drying up and seems to be
attracting shorebirds - could be a good spot to check as it recedes further
this week.  There was at least one Greater YL in with the Lessers and Killdeer.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.