[wisb] Re: Harvey & Wangsness ponds

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 11:25:58 -0500

Just to be clear, this IS a flooded ag field.  In dry years, nearly all
of it is under cultivation.  Even the last two years, it's been
cultivated up to the edge of the water.  I can recall corn coming up to
the edge of Harvey on the east side north of Wangsness as recently as
three or four years ago.  The 100"+ of snow in the winter of 2007/08,
followed by record rainfall last summer and record snowfall this past
December kept water levels much higher than I've ever seen it in the
last 20 years.  It used to be common for there to be a wet area through
early summer on the east side of Harvey, and occasionally on the west
side, but it usually was down to just a shallow area of water out in the
center of the block by mid-summer.

What I'm NOT sure about is the area on the north side of Wangsness Rd.
east of Kroncke.  That had seemed to be a semi-permanent wetland, with
quite a covering of emergent vegetation.  Last month, the farmer
bulldozed the whole thing out and tore out most of the trees along
Wangsness Rd., presumably to cultivate it.  I don't know if it's the
same landowner.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.